The beginning of the history of the abbey in Tyniec is a twenty-first century. That’s when there was built a Benedictine monastery located on a hill overlooking the Wisła river. The creation of this monastery was motivated by the crisis of the young Polish state, which had to deal with the rebellion of the pagans and the Czech invasions.
Initially the abbey consisted of Romanesque buildings to be rebuilt in the Gothic style in the fifteenth century. Then it was rebuilt in the baroque and later in roccoco style. In the seventeenth century the abbey was destroyed again, only to be rebuilt and expanded. Unfortunately to be destroyed again during the Bar Confederation and was rebuilt by the abbot Florian Janowski. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the abbey was dissolved and the church located in the abbey housed the seat of a bishopric Tyniec.
In July 1939 the Benedictines returned to Tyniec, and since 1947 began the reconstruction of the abbey. Finally, in 1968 it was reactivated. Today, the monastery houses the Museum of the Abbey.